Diabetes is also known as Madhumeha.
Madhumeha in very laymann terms means that sugar in the blood.
Being a diabetes expert, the first question which I always ask my patients when they come to me is,
“Do you know what diabetes is? ”
“Aapko pata hai diabetes hoti kya hai?”
“Tumala mahit ahe diabetes kai ahe?”
“Tamare kahi khabar che diabetes su che?”
I have managed to write the same question in different languages above because i tend to use all of this while talking to my patients but only 10% of them have some idea about it.
Answers which i usually get from them is,
” My blood sugars has increased”
“Mere blood main shakar ki matra badh gai hai”
“Meri body insulin nai banati/ My body is not producing insulin”
“Meri body main pancreas ne chalna bandh kar dia hai/ My pancreas have stopped working”
Well, i cant say that none of it is right but yes there is a lot which can explain diabetes.
Before we jump off to the topic heading directly, let’s understand what diabetes is and how do we deal with it?
There are 4 types of diabetes:-
- Type 1 or Juvenile
- Type 2
- GDM (Gestational Diabetes Mellitus)
- LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood)
In Type 1 diabetes which is also called as Juvenile diabetes pancreas doesn’t work at all. Which means they produce no insulin that is why this diabetes is also called as Insulin dependent diabetes in which you have to take insulin from outside forever.
Type 2 diabetes is a condition which caused by insulin resistance.
What is insulin resistance?
Your pancreas produces insulin but somehow your body is not able to use up that insulin as a result extra sugar just keeps roaming in the blood. The insulin which is not getting utilized gets piled up which is called as insulin resistance.
GDM or Gestational Diabetes Mellitus is a condition in which blood sugar tends to rise at 24 weeks of gestation. There is a trend of postprandial sugar rise but this resolves post delivery. But a GDM lady is always at a risk of getting type 2 diabetes and it is very important for her to monitor her sugar levels from time to time.
LADA or Latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood is a condition in which body’s own cells start attacking the pancreas which leads to complete pancreas burnout. LADA cases can also happen because of different conditions like pancreatitis.
It is very important to understand the difference between all of these to understand your condition better.
There are many allopathy drugs available in the market which are used to treat diabetes like metformin, glimepiride and other sulphonylurea and stuff.
These home remedies cannot be used as a substitute without asking your medical professional.
These remedies can help you deal with diabetes in a better way.
Let’s look at some of these!
- Take 1/2 glass of karela juice + 1 tsp of amla powder or amla juice + 1/2 tsp of freshly grounded turmeric powder early in the morning immediately after you wake up (Empty stomach).
- Take 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder + 1/2 tsp of amla powder or amla juice mixed with lukewarm water once a day.
- Soak 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds or methi seeds and consume it everyday. You can simply chew the seeds.
- 1/2 tsp of jamun powder in lukewarm water is very beneficial.
- Consume parsley everyday in your diet.
- 1 tsp of neem paste with 1 tsp of organic honey early in the morning is a great remedy.
- Add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder in lukewarm water and consume this water throughout the day. Keep sipping.
- 2 whole walnuts are very good. They provide you with good fats.
- Salacia herb is very good to keep your sugars in control.
What food swipes would be beneficial ?
- Try brown rice/Black rice/Red rice instead of white rice.
- Try sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes.
- Try whole wheat pasta instead of regular maida pasta.
- Try high fibre cereals than sugary breakfast cereals.
- Try steel cut oats or rolled oats instead of instant oats.
- Try bran muffins instead of normal cake.
- Try whole wheat or bran rotis instead of maida rotis.
- Try oats uttapam instead of regular uttapam.
- Try oats idlis instead of rava or rice idli.
- Try hummus recipes instead of outside dips and sauces.
It is very important to know the GI (Glycemic Index) of the food!
Here are some for you, keep a check!
- Baked potatoes- 85
- White bread- 70
- Waffles- 76
- Watermelon– 72
- Doughnut- 76
- Instant porridge- 79
- Sweet biscuits- 69
- Sugar- 65
- Honey -58
- Brown rice– 55
- Popcorn- 55
- Bajra- 82
- Maize- 89
- Ragi– 98
- Chole- 33
- Barley- 61
- Horse gram- 73
- Black chana- 61
- Soya beans- 16
- Chana daal- 16
- Rajma- 27
- Moong dal- 54
- Pineapple juice- 46
- Grapefruit juice- 48
- Apple juice- 41
- Carrot juice- 45
- Orange juice- 52
- Celery- 15
- Apples- 36
- Broccoli- 15
- Soy milk- 30
- Increase proteins in your diet.
- Reduce carbohydrates in your diet.
- Choose your fats wisely and add omega 3 rich fats in your diet.
Know more Home remedies tips for diabetes .