I have been hearing this word a lot- carbohydrates ! Maybe because i am dealing with diabetic patients this becomes an important prescription!
Everyone talks about it but is everyone aware about what are these?
Carbohydrates is a macronutrient which takes up about 60% of our dietary nutrient allowance!
Our Indian meal is extremely rich in carbohydrates as well as first meal in a day is very important for our health!
Before jumping on to that, lets first understand what are these carbohydrates!
– Carbohydrates is the most important energy source for your body.
– Digestive system coverts carbohydrates into glucose for giving us energy.
Carbohydrates are divided into 2 types:-
(1) Simple carbohydrates
– Fructose (Fruit sugar)
– Lactose (Milk sugar)
– Sucrose (Plain sugar)
(2) Complex carbohydrates
– Simple carbohydrates are found naturally in foods such as fruits, vegetables, milk and milk products.
– They also include refined sugars.
– Complex carbohydrates include whole grain breads and cereals, starchy vegetables and legumes.
– Complex carbohydrates (Not all) are good source of fiber as well!
Why are carbohydrates important?
– 1 gram of carbohydrate= 4kcal which is used as a source of energy.
– 40-60% of your diet can consist of carbohydrates.
– Some foods are micronutrient rich too!
– Many foods have phytochemicals which are naturally occurring helpful agents!
– A diet high in fruits, vegies, whole grains and fiber has shown to reduce lifestyle diseases risk (As per the research in 2010)
– A high fiber diet helps in better digestion, also learn 7 amazing home remedies to cure indigestion fast which further adds in preventing constipation and reduces colon diseases risk.
– High fiber foods have high value of satiety which helps in regulating blood sugar levels to some extent.
– Whole wheat, barley and rye helps in reducing blood cholesterol levels.