Out of all the disorders, dental issues are the one which is not given much importance unless there is some kind of pain in the same!
The moment you get any pain in your teeth, that’s when you remember a dentist!
But it is very important to understand that dental issues are equally important without any symptoms as well.
Let’s learn more about different oral conditions and different ways to manage them!
- Commonly known as bad breath issue
- If this is prolonged for more than a week then this might be a symptom of something major
- Its better to catch hold of the problem before it is too late!
Most common causes of bad breath:-
- Different foods can give you different odor, diet does play a role in bad breath.
- Bad bacteria in the mouth can lead to bad breath
- Dry mouth can lead to bad breath
- Excessive smoking
- To an extent, effect on your liver and kidney can also lead to bad breath
How to prevent/manage bad breath?
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss your teeth once a day before bed.
- Keep yourself hydrated, don’t let the mouth get dry.
- Keep mouth wash handy and dry gargling after a sweet meal.
- If it is prolonged, meet your dental expert
(2) Difficulty in swallowing
- It is also called as dysphagia.
- If proper oral health is not maintained, it can lead to serious chest infection.
What are the signs and symptoms?
- Cannot swallow properly, faces some kind of obstruction.
- Excessive cough during eating.
- Choking during eating.
- Hoarse voice after eating.
- Cannot tolerate different textures of food.
- Regurgitating of the food.
- Chronic chest infection.
If you see any of the following diseases, visit an expert soon and ask your dental expert to guide you more about the oral hygiene.
(3) Dry mouth
- It is also called as xerostomia
- It is caused due to less production of saliva which is seen very commonly these days.
- It can be because of many medications as well.
- This could be a serious symptom of diabetes.
Signs and symptoms:-
- Red gums
- Swollen gums
- Dry tongue
- Cracked tongue
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
Management of dry mouth:-
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Floss your teeth every day.
- Keep sucking ice cubes throughout the day if you have lot of dry mouth issues.
- Use sugar free chewing gums.
- Use saliva substitutes
- Avoid alcohol if dry mouth issue persists.
(4) Cold sores
- It is also called as canker sores.
- It is characterized by small, red blisters
- This is most commonly caused by herpes simplex.
- It can be caused because of unhealthy diet
- Excess nicotine.
- Dehydration can lead to cold sores.
- Continuous lip biting can also lead cold sores.
How to treat cold sores/canker sores?
- Salt water gargles twice a day.
- Baking soda and water paste on the canker sores twice a day.
- Apply 1 tbsp. of milk on the canker sores throughout the day till it gets better.
- If this gets worsen, take an expert opinion some oral medications can be prescribed for the same.
You can read another article here ( 7 Amazing home remedies to cure Indigestion fast ).