During your childhood, I am sure your mom would be behind you to drink milk! Most of us didn’t like it, however, there were few of us who really loved it!
I am talking about milk without any kind of flavor!
The moment you add different flavors to milk, you reduce its nutrition content!
If you have ever tasted milk without any additives, it has a sweet flavor all by itself because of the presence of ‘Lactose’ the natural milk sugar!
But I feel bad, the purity of milk is not the same as it used to be during our grandparents time!
The additives are milk is mind-boggling! You really need to scratch your head to understand if you can actually drink that milk or no!
Before moving to the types of milk, let us first have a look at the amazing nutrient list of milk!
Serving size- 1 cup (236 ml)
Carbohydrates- 11.49 g
Proteins- 8.03 g
Fats- 4.88 g
Cholesterol- 17 mg
Sodium- 100 mg
Potassium- 361 mg
Sugars- 12.59 g
Other micro-nutrients at present in milk are as follows:-
(1) Vitamin A
(2) Vitamin B12
(3) Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
(4) Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
(5) Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
(6) Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
(7) Vitamin B5 (Panthothenic acid)
(8) Vitamin K
Here is the list of different types of milk and difference between them!
(1) Full cream milk
- Also called as whole milk
- It contains complete milk fat (No addition/removal)
- It has more cream
- Mostly given to children, bodybuilders
- Fat is 3.5% in full cream milk
(2) Whole standardized milk
- It is almost same as full cream milk
- This milk has minimum 3.5% but it can be less.
- A standardized protocol is followed for the same.
(3) Whole homogenized milk
- This milk doesn’t give the dream formation.
- The fat layer is broken down and the cream formation is prevented.
(4) Single toned milk
- Skimmed milk powder + water + whole milk = single toned milk
- Minimum cholesterol absorption by the body with this milk.
- This toned milk has 120 calories per serving
- It has 3% of the fat
- It does not have fat-soluble vitamins
(5) Double toned milk
- Skimmed milk powder + Whole milk.
- It has 1.5% of fat
- Ideal for weight loss.
- Lesser in calories
(6) Skimmed milk
- It has 0.1-0.3% fat content.
- It gives 80 calories per serving which is almost 50% lesser than the full cream milk
- Nutrient-wise it is exactly the same exact for some calcium which is a bit more in skimmed milk as compared to the whole milk
- It has the lowest fat content hence it is proven to be an excellent choice for people who are looking for weight loss and not compromising on their nutrition.
In all these types of milk, all the fat soluble vitamins are lost.
But they re-add the vitamins to these types.
So the nutrition value is protected in this case!
- Milk is a rich source of calcium which helps in maintaining your bone health!
- 3 servings of dairy a day will keep you away from calcium supplements!
- It is a complete nutrient.
- It makes your immune system stronger!
A Glass of milk every day will keep all your diseases at bay!
You can read my other article here ( Beat the heat with these traditional drinks! ).