Water borne diseases were caused due to pathogenic microbes, These microbes causes infections and are transmitted in water, During food preparation, Washing, drinking, bathing or the food already infected with the microorganism before consumption. These are the ways that allows the microorganism to get transmitted and cause waterborne illness in the human body.
Common type of Water borne diseases or Illness
- Amoebiasis-It is the parasitic infection of colon due to amoeba entamoeba histolytic.
- Cholera-It is a bacterial disease that leads to severe diarrhea, dehydration.
- Shigellosis-It is caused by shigella bacteria which is an infectious disease symptoms they are fever, cramps of the abdomen, diarrhea. These diseases are usually getting solved in maximum of 7 days period.
- Cryptosporidiosis-It is caused by parasites that lead to diarrheal infections; this parasite can live on the intestine of human body and passed out in the stools of the affected persons.
- Dysentery-It is the intestinal inflammation which causes diarrhea with blood. Symptoms include abdominal pain, cramps in abdomen, flatulence, bloating.
- Giardia-It is an intestinal infection caused by Giardia parasite.
- Typhoid-It is caused by salmonella typhi; this bacterial infection is transmitted by the water or food. Also when the organism be transmitted directly from the infected person to the other person through contaminated fingers. Constipation, cough, stomach ache, sore throat, loss of appetite, head pain is the symptoms of typhoid.
According to WHO water borne diseases account for an estimated 4.1 % of the total daily global burden of disease and cause about 1.8 million human deaths annually.
Sequence of Water treatment process executed
- Ph correction
- Coagulation and flocculation
- Pre-chlorination and dechlorination
- Ph adjustment
- Ultraviolet radiation
- Water softening (ion exchange)
Public Education for Safer drinking water
- Instruct them regarding the sources of drinking water, monitoring, regulation, treatment and health considerations.
- Discussion regarding the origins of water supply problems-Natural and human induced
- Ways to overcome water supply problems
This is a wrong way of drinking water, never do it.
What are Our Duties
- Keeping the water clean
- Community water licensing
- Testing of source water quality
- Public education
- Making drinking water safe
- Support water treatment plant operators
- Testing and monitoring of treated water quality
- Incident tracking and reporting
- Assessment of water treatment infrastructure and operations
- Proving that drinking water is safe when met with hygienic standards and principles.
- Proper disposal of infant feces
- Try to carry water bottles for drinking purpose
- Food items after preparation to be covered and kept to avoid germs in it.
- Making a habit of washing hands regularly with water and hand sanitizer before eating food, after toilet usage, before cooking to avoid spread of water born diseases.
- Drinking filtered water
- Eat only warm foods
- River water may be contaminated with harmful microbes, so avoid swimming in these areas to prevent from diseases.
Have safer drinking water, preserve earth, and make water available to all in a hygienic condition. Save water for future generation, water quality to be maintained and safeguarded to avoid these waterborne diseases.