If we go into the depth and try and understand about asthma, it becomes quite technical!
Asthma is a chronic obstructive disease of airway of the lungs.
To make it more simple, it is a respiratory tract disorder which doesn’t allow easy flow of air in the lungs.
Breathing difficulties in asthma leads to wheezing.
Asthma is a difficult disease to be cured. It leaves a tag for life.
What are the signs and symptoms of asthma?
– Difficulty in breathing.
– Tight chest
– chronic cough
– wheezing sound
What causes asthma?
– Climate change
How can you diagnose asthma?
– Good method for diagnosis in adults but cannot be done easily for children below 7 years.
– Response of drugs like salbutamol which is a bronchodilator is checked.
(2) X ray of lungs
(3) Allergy test
(4) Blood test ( Eosinophils and IgE antibody)
What dietary changes needs to be made to deal with asthma?
– Do not sleep immediately after eating food.
– Prefer to make dinner as your lightest dinner.
– Drink 4-5 glasses of warm water everyday.
– Go low on junk and processed foods.
– Avoid excess white sugar intake.
– Sour and spicy foods might trigger the symptoms.
What are the home remedies to deal with asthma?
Non Asthmatic attack days :- (To avoid frequent attacks)
– 1 tsp of black raisins + 4 dates + 2 long pepper + 1 licorice root + 1 tsp of honey as soon as you wake up.
– 150 ml of luke warm milk + 1 bud of garlic before bed.
– 1 tsp of licorice + 1/2 tsp of ginger paste + 150 ml of luke warm water. Take this thrice a day.
– 1 tsp of honey + 1 tsp of bay leaf powder before bedtime.
– 1 tsp of honey + 1 tsp of ground pepper + 1/4th cup of onion juice before bed for relief from congestion.
During asthmatic attack days:-
– 10 tulsi leaves + 1 tsp of turmeric + 150 ml of warm water. Boil this connoction and take it thrice a day.
– During attack, apply 4-5 drops of nilgiri on the chest.
– Inhaling camphor during attacks will also help.
– Take sunth + cloves and boil it in water. Take this extract 4 times a day during attack.
Which ayurvedic herbs can help in deal with asthmatic symptoms?
– Black pepper
– Madhu yasthi
Yoga asanas to deal with asthma:-
– Also called as corpse pose.
– Lie on your back.
– Keep your arms near your thighs.
– Close your eyes.
– Breath through your nostrils.
– Hold yourself in this position for 5 minutes
– Also called as nostril breathing.
– Sit in cross leg position.
– Close your one nostril with the thumb then repeat it on the other side.
– Repeat this; 10 on each side.
(3) Butterfly pose
– Sit straight on the floor with erect spine.
– Bend your knees and bring it closer to your body
– Inhale and exhale.
– Flap your knees for 10 counts.