As mentioned in the previous article, it is very important to have healthy lifestyle in order to prevent osteoporosis. To know about basics of osteoporosis you can read my last article!
- Calcium perhaps becomes a very important micronutrient to protect your bones!
- It is extremely important to know different calcium sources and how much calcium do they provide!
- So, making things easy for you, here is a list of all calcium sources and their calcium content in mg
|FOOD||SERVING SIZE ||CALCIUM (mg) |
|Regular tofu||½ cup||434|
|Fortified cereal||¼ cup||Varies from brand. Look into the nutrition label (400-500)|
|Til seeds||2 tbsp.||435|
|Poppy seeds (Khus khus)||2 tbsp.||475|
|Skim milk||1 cup||321|
|Fortified soya milk||1 cup||300|
|Fortified orange juice||1 cup||300|
|Low fat yogurt||3 oz||300|
|Fortified oatmeal||1 pc||350|
|Cumin seeds (Jeera)||2 tbsp.||324|
|Whole milk||1 cup||291|
|Plain yogurt||3 oz||274|
|Roasted soyabeans||1 cup||237|
|Cooked soyabeans||1 cup||261|
|Cheddar cheese||1 oz||206|
|Cooked spinach||1 cup||245|
|Boiled soyabeans||1 cup||175|
|Cottage cheese||1 cup||138|
|Baked beans||1 cup||142|
|Ragi (Nachni)||45 grams (1 chapati)||102|
What is the daily calcium requirement?
|Age group and physiological status||CALCIUM (mg/d)|
|Children from age group 1-3 years||500 mg|
|Children from age group 4-8 years||800 mg|
|Children from age group 9-18 years||1300 mg|
|Men- age 25 to age 65||1000 mg|
|Men- above age 65||1500 mg|
|Women- sedentary||400 mg|
|Pregnant women||1000 mg|
|Lactating women||1000 mg|
|Peri- menopausal||1500 mg|
|Post- menopausal||1500 mg|
How to choose daily calcium supplement?
There are some Do’s and Don’ts which you have to take care while selecting your calcium supplement.
| DO’S|| DON’T|
|Do ask your healthcare provider to recommend you a calcium supplements. Check for proper serving size and amount of calcium to be taken per serving||Don’t self-start supplement for yourself.|
|Do read the package label of the supplement so that you know how much calcium dosage are you getting and how much remains||Don’t take the entire calcium dosage at once. Spread it out throughout the day because your body absorbs only 600 mg or lesser calcium at one time|
|Do ask your healthcare provider about the possible interactions between your different medications and calcium supplement.||Don’t take more calcium than you require. Extra calcium supplements will not help you.|
|Do take calcium supplements with the foods that helps in better absorption of calcium in the body.||Don’t take any iron supplement or any iron source at the same time. Iron supplement may prevent the absorption of calcium|
|Do try to keep your food sources as much as natural as possible.||Don’t use antacids containing aluminum as a calcium supplements. Large doses of aluminum can also harm the body.|
(2) Vitamin D
- As mentioned in my previous article, your body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium.
- It is always said that stand in sunlight if you want vitamin D. It is because your skin makes vitamin D when it is exposed to sun. Perhaps, sunlight is the main source of vitamin D but the risk factor which comes up while getting exposed to sun is skin cancer and other skin diseases because of UV radiations.
- There are very limited sources of vitamin D like fortified milk, liver, fatty fish and egg yolks, learn the nutritional facts of eggs but it is not as much as a human body requires on everyday basis.
How much vitamin D is required by the body?
|Age group and physiological status||Vitamin D (Daily) |
|Children from age group 1-3 years||200 IU (International units)|
|Children from age group 4-8 years||200 IU (International units)|
|Children from age group 9-18 years||200 IU (International units)|
|Men- age 19 to age 49 years||400- 800 IU (International units)|
|Men- above age 50||800-1000 IU (International units)|
|Women||1000 IU (International units)|
|Pregnant women||400-800 IU (International units)|
|Lactating women||400-800 IU (International units)|
- Vitamin D is available in two forms- vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 .
- Vitamin D3 is also called as cholecalciferol and Vitamin D2 is called as ergocalciferol.
- Whenever you take a vitamin D supplement, it is always vitamin D3.
- There are many calcium supplements which are often clubbed with vitamin D for better absorption.
- Your healthcare provider will get your vitamin D test done with a simple blood test and give you the proper supplement dose. It is often used as 60k units per week for better bone health.
- Even kids are at a higher risk of weak bones because of lack of proper nutrients. Please keep an eye on your baby’s nutrition since childhood.
- Read the nutrition label carefully whenever you are opting for any supplement or food which is fortified with different nutrients.
- Daily value is printed on different food products which can help you determine whether a food is high or low in a particular nutrient.
- 5% of DV (daily values) or less is lower in nutrients and 20% of DV (Daily values) is higher.
- Daily values are available in the section of nutrition facts which should be checked properly irrespective of any food item including the serving size of the food product.
- For example:- 400 IU is daily requirement so if that is mentioned on the food product then calculate your dosage accordingly.