This wasn’t common earlier but in past few years, I have seen a lot of cases where small children are losing hair which has become a major concern for parents!
Hair loss in scientific language is called as Alopecia.
It is not common during childhood but anything is possible!
If the issue is not major, hair loss can be temporary but if its not so then care needs to be taken. Some related hair loss causes give below:
Check out for causes of hair loss!
(1) Hair pulling
– Some kids have habit of pulling their hair like thumb sucking.
– It usually stops after 3 years of age but this sometimes leads to hair loss.
– The best way to deal with it is keeping your child’s hair short!
(2) Tinea capitis
– In usual terms it is called as ringworm of scalp
– The scalp becomes itchy in case of this infection which can lead to hair loss
– Sometimes redness can also be the sign of this infection.
(3) Traction alopecia
– If your kids are tying ponytails or hair very tightly then hair loss can happen.
– Some infants loose hair because of continuous rubbing against the crib to get rid of this, avoid changing sides frequently.
(4) Alopecia areata
– In this your child’s immune system is attacking against the hair follicles.
– This is called as auto immune disorder
– Some steroidal treatment is done but the hair comes back too!
– It is a type of OCD (Obstructive compulsive disorder)
– Behavior change modification needs to be done in this case