I am sure there is hardly anybody who will say that i haven’t got fever in my life!
Its a pretty common thing to happen and causes/reasons are also very common.
In some cases, high fever can be a reason for reaching out to a healthcare professional on emergency basis.
Fever is not any disease, it is a symptom of some disease.
Normal fever is not life threatening.
Fever is a very common response of your immune system if unwanted substances has entered the body. If your child has an healthy immune system, getting over fever is not difficult.
What can be the possible causes of fever?
- Bacterial infections
- Viral infections
- Side effects of different medications
- Adverse reactions of the medications
- Extreme temperature exposure
- Allergic reactions
- Vaccinations or different immunizations
- Middle ear infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Weather changes
- Unhealthy lifestyle
What are the types of fever?
- Low grade fever : In this fever, body temperature is slightly elevated above the normal range which is between 98.8 to 100.6 degree F.
- High grade fever : In this fever, body temperature is about 102 degree F or it can be higher as well.
What are the symptoms of fever?
- Body chills
- Body aches
- Severe headaches
- Excessive sweating
- Excess flu-shy feeling
- Low feeling
- Severe lethargy
I have seen parents giving fever lowering medications for low grade fever. Avoid doing this because as mentioned above fever is body’s natural immune response and lowering it with medications will hit the immune system and result in low immunity in future.
High grade fever in your child requires medical attention because it might be the underlying cause of something else which needs to be treated.
However, there are ways to reduce low grade fever which can be done at home.
Home remedies to reduce low grade fever :-
Give your child cold compression
- Cold compression from outside will help in reducing the body temperature which is an age old method and is very effective.
- Doing it frequently till the temperature comes down will help.
How do you give cold compression during low grade fever?
- Take tap water, add few drops of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Take a fresh thin cloth preferably muslin cloth.
- Dip fresh cloth in the ice water.
- Place it on forehead.
- Once the body absorbs the water, dip it again.
- Do this continuously till the fever comes down.
2. Give your child lukewarm water bath
- It helps in regulating the body temperature.
- It helps in inducing sleep and relaxing after temperature fluctuations.
- If your child is feeling too weak to get up then you can also give them tub bath or luke warm sponge bath 2-3 times a day.
- Put vinegar in luke warm water and compress it on the forehead.
3. Increase fluids in your child’s diet
- Make sure your child is drinking sufficient water.
- It will prevent dehydration due to excessive sweating and helps in faster recovery.
Which fluids you can add in your child’s diet?
- Homemade ORS (Oral rehydrating solution)
- Rice water
- Gripe water
- Homemade buttermilk
- Coconut water
- Fresh unsweetened fruit juice.
- Water rich fruits like watermelon
- Vegetables like cucumber
- Unsweetened yogurt
Your child might not feel like eating or drinking anything because of the fever so give these fluids in smaller amount but make sure you are keeping your child hydrated enough.
4. Use tulsi leaves or basil to reduce your child’s fever
- Tulsi leaves or basil is antibacterial which helps in killing the bacteria which has caused fever.
- It helps in boosting immunity which is important for faster recovery.
- Tulsi leaves works as an antipyretic.
How to use basil leaves to reduce fever?
- Take handful of fresh tulsi/basil leaves and add it in 2 cups of water.
- Boil this water till it reduces to half.
- Add honey to this solution and give this to your child in every 2 hours.
- You can also extract tulsi leaves juice, add a pinch of freshly grounded black pepper powder and give 1 tsp in every 2 hours till the fever comes down.
5. Use ginger to reduce your child’s fever ?
- Ginger works as an natural antipyretic (it helps in reducing fever).
- It helps in expelling heat from the body which helps in reducing fever.
- It helps in boosting immunity which in turn helps in faster recovery.
How to use ginger to reduce fever?
- Take fresh ginger or 1 tbsp of ginger powder and add it in luke warm water. Give your child a ginger water bath for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, wrap your child in a blanket for 5 minutes. Your child will start sweating, give him/her a glass of water.
- Or you can also take 1 tsp of fresh ginger juice + 1 tsp of lemon + 1 tsp of honey and give this mixture to your child every 1 hour till the time fever comes down.
Extra notes :
- Avoid medications for a low grade fever try these home remedies first and then if it still doesn’t get better then go as per your doctor’s prescription.
- Do not self medicate your child, reach out to your health care professional.