I m sure we all know what cough is!
We all cough but do we exactly know what is it and why does it happen?
Lets talk more about cough here!
Whenever there is a foreign substance which enters your airways then you tend to cough.
But if coughing is prolonged then it might be a symptom of some disease/disorder.
Whenever the cough is prolonged, the most common reason could be obstruction to respiratory track.
I have often seen people panicking because of cough but coughing is a sign that your body’s defence mechanism is working alright and your body is already fighting with the foreign body which has entered. But the fact that people take coughing medicines to stop it is actually hampering your body’s defence mechanism for long term.
I know coughing continuously is irritating but mostly coughing can be reduced/managed with home remedies.
It might not be able to cure cough but it will definitely help you before things gets worst.
Cough might become chronic so the first thing which is to be done is to stop it from becoming chronic and herbal remedies can definitely help in the same.
I have explained it in a very layman terms that what causes cough (like foreign substance entering the body) but what exactly causes cough according to Ayurveda?
- Kapha dosha
- Pitta dosha
- Vata dosha
In ayurveda, cough means KASA ROGA.
Why does this KASA ROGA happens?
- KASA ROGA happens because of imbalance of Vata and Kapha dosha predominantly.
- There are lot of irritants like dust, smoke, pollution, nutritionally imbalanced food which aggravates vata dosha which causes sneezing/coughing.
- Contraction of chest and lungs will lead to coughing which can be painful.
According to Ayurveda,
Kasa roga is divided into 5:-
- Vataja Kasa which is caused due to vata dosha.
- Pittaja kasa which is caused due to imbalance of pitta dosha.
- Kaphaja kasa which is caused due to imbalance of kapha dosha.
- Kshayaja Kasa which is caused due to due frail, weak body.
- Kshataja Kasa which is caused because of injury to your chest bone.
Symptoms for all these kasa rogas are different and diagnosis of each of this is done in a different way.
Cough is divided into 2 phases :-
Acute cough and chronic cough
If the cough lasts for less than 3 weeks then it acute cough and if the cough lasts for more than 3 weeks then it is termed as chronic cough.
Acute cough can mostly be handled by herbal remedies however expert advice in any case is extremely important.
Herbal remedies to get rid of acute cough :-
- Mix 1 tbsp of betel leaves with little water. Make the paste out of it and apply it on the chest before sleeping for a week.
- 2 gm of khadi haldi mixed with warm milk, take this mixture 2 times a day. Continue the same for 15 days.
- Take 5 ml of pure tulsi juice with 10 ml of manuka honey/pure honey/organic honey and chew it 2 times a day.
- Crush 1-2 crush garlic cloves add that to a glass of milk, boil this milk till it becomes half. Filter this mixture and divide it into 2 parts. Have 1 of this part early in the morning and have the other half in the evening. Continue this for 1 week.
- Try having 5 ml of onion juice with 10 ml of manuka honey/ pure honey/organic honey and take this mixture twice a day for about 10 days and continue it longer if the condition doesn’t get better.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the water and take the steam which helps in controlling the cough bouts to happen very often.
- 1 tsp of Yashtimadhu powder with 1/2 tsp of tulsi juice mixed with manuka honey/pure honey/organic honey is extremely useful int treating allergic cough bouts and continue this for about 2 weeks to get complete relief.
- 3 gm of sitophiladi churna with 5 ml of manuka honey/pure honey/organic honey 3 times a day for about 1 week gives some relief from cough.
- 3 gm of talicadi chruna with 5 ml of manuka honey/pure honey/organic honey 2 times a day for about 1 week also gives some relief from cough.
Simple home remedies to get rid of acute cough :-
- Avoid lemon and lime juice, it might act as an irritant.
- Grapes can act as expectorant. Grape juice with honey can help in giving relief from cough.
- Heat camphor, mix it with salt and apply it on chest, throat and face to get some relief from cough and remove the phlegm out of the body.
- Onion soup before bed is a great remedy to feel relaxed.
- Take 1 tbsp of lime juice with pinch of black pepper (Kali mirch) and salt. Heat this mixture till its consistency reduces and have this mixture once a day to get best effects out of the same.
- Having cinnamon powder with black pepper in luke warm water will also give some relief.