To get rid of the problem, it is important to know about the problem.
So when we talk about insomnia, let us first understand that what insomnia.
Insomnia is a disorder which makes it very difficult for a person to fall asleep or difficult to stay asleep or both. So in insomnia, your body doesn’t follow the body clock. Even if you sleep through the night you will wake up tired which will in turn affect your everyday activities which might affect your concentration, mood, physical appearance as well. You might see a sudden crash in your energy level which might make you extremely irritated. It will difficult to loose weight and vice versa. Not sleeping well means you are getting prone to various diseases and disorders.
I normally get this question that how many hours should we sleep?
There isn’t any number which i can give because it is not about the QUANTITY of sleep but it is about the QUALITY of sleep which depends from person to person. There is something called as chronic insomnia which goes on from years. Without even going on any medications there are home remedies for depression and stress which can help you solve your sleeping issues!
What are the possible causes of insomnia?
- This is the major cause for almost every problem arising in this world!
- Excessive stress can actually make your night go sleepless.
- If you cannot manage your stress, this will be a very important lifestyle change which is required in you as much as possible.
- When you are stressed or anxious, your hormonal levels might fluctuate which doesn’t work for your sleep hormone.
- If your stress hormone is high then there is no chance that your sleep hormone will be produced.
- If you are depressed, your brain cannot function properly and give out the commands which wont let you relax and unless you relax it makes it very difficult for your body to produce melatonin which is a sleep hormone.
- There are some over the counter medications like as simple as a painkiller which might make it difficult for you to sleep
- The most common stimulants which we use are coffee and for some people it can be nicotine or smoking or alcohol as well.
- All these 3 factors are the main causes which can trigger insomnia which might turn into chronic insomnia as well.
(6) Various medical conditions
- When you are not well, either you over sleep or you cannot sleep. This is all caused by various disturbances.
- Conditions which are very commonly linked with insomnia are arthritis, cancer, heart failure, lung diseases, gastroesophageal reflux disease which is also called as GERD, overactive thyroid, stroke, Alzheimer’s diseases, Parkinson’s disease.
(7) If your work schedule is making it difficult, you can might as well try changing it and check if that can help!
(8) Poor sleep habit
- Not maintaining your sleep cycle can also trigger insomnia but this is something which is in our hand and which can be changed as well.
(9) Midnight snacking
- If you have an habit of eating at night, your mind might be conditioned in that way which will again make it difficult for your body to get tuned into sleeping.
What sleep habits can be maintained to manage or beat insomnia?
Do not take insomnia lightly. Many big problems are started because of insomnia!
It is very important to maintain a sleep hygiene for everybody (Do not wait to get insomnia!)
- Put a fresh bed sheet which will make you feel comfortable and a feeling of relaxation
- It is important to maintain your sleep schedule. Try to wake up and sleep at the same time and maintain a continuity.
- Avoid your coffee and alcohol before going to bed as insomnia is one of the effects of alcohol addiction.
- Exercise can actually make you feel relaxed when you exercise but it is not advisable to exercise right before you go to bed because it will again stimulate which will make it harder to sleep.
- Don’t eat a very heavy dinner before bed, always keep yourself light on the protein based foods.
- Avoid late night dinner.
- Avoid spicy and sour foods before bed.
- Practice yoga once a day.
- Focus more on savasana.
- Avoid working on laptops late night.
- You can do oil champi before bed and wash your hair early in the morning.
- Your body has its own clock, please respect your own body clock!
Home remedies to say bye bye to insomnia!
- Apply lavender oil on your forehead before going to bed.
- Mix nuts + nutmeg and have it with warm milk right before you go to bed.
- Have ash gourd juice before you to bed
- Have licorice root right before bed
- Drink warm milk with turmeric before bed.
- Take 6 black raisins before bed
It will take around 3 weeks for the entire new system to kick in.
Please don’t give up in a week.