No, this article is not about STOP ALCOHOL- Its bad for your health!
You can continue having it, but there is always a BUT!
Know your limits, where to stop is in your hands!
Social/Occasional drinking is accepted but addiction is not.
What is alcohol addiction?
- Dependency on alcohol crosses a level when anything becomes difficult to function without alcohol.
- This is alcohol addiction.
Until the time you can control alcohol, all goes well.
The moment alcohol starts controlling you- That’s Addiction!
How can you identify that you are addicted to alcohol?
- Excessive hangovers.
- Excessive after effects of alcohol post-hangover.
- Increase alcohol tolerance.
- Drinking more than the tolerance limit.
- Reduced interest in personal life.
- Not interested to take up responsibilities.
- Knowing about the harmful effects of alcohol and still, prefer to do the same.
What are the short-term effects of alcohol consumption?
- Poor concentration.
- Reduced reflexes.
- Reduced brain activity.
- Emotional Breakdown.
- Obstructive sleep apnea.
- Daytime Sleepiness.
- Contraindicated with medicines.
- Extreme mood swings.
- Flurried speech.
- Reduced body temperature, more of the cold sensations.
- Severe weight gain.
- Loss of libido.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Digestive issues.
- Excessive urination.
What are the long-term effects of alcohol consumption?
- Prolonged consumption can lead to death of brain cells
- Damages nerve cells
- Reduced IQ
- Reduced power of understanding and grasping things.
- Damages the liver.
- Might lead to liver cirrhosis.
- Liver transplant.
- Complete alcohol dependency.
- Low immunity.
- Disliking self.
- No more interest in personal relationships.
- Nervous breakdown.
Effects of alcohol in the mouth:-
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Oral cancer
- Staining of teeth
- Dryness of mouth- Lack of saliva.
- Bad breath
Drinking more alcohol means more brushing, more rinsing and more flossing of teeth!
How to cut down alcohol consumption?
If this is the beginning of alcohol dependency, you can try these steps to get rid of it.
- Plan more on alcohol-free days. Ask your best friend/husband/wife to help you stick to the days you plan.
- On the days when you plan to drink, pre-plan your limits and keep the bottle away so that you cannot reach out to it.
- Try choosing your drinks- Go for wine as much as possible.
- Do not stock up alcohol at home.
- Finish one drink and then go for the other. Don’t keep pouring it.
- Try to divert your mind.
- Join a support group which can help you in getting rid of alcohol addiction.
- Be persistent and motivated about your decision.
You might not be able to reach the top on the very first day, but that doesn’t mean that you will stop trying. Keep trying, accept the challenge and go for it!
There is not a compulsion for you to get rid of alcohol.
It all depends on your choice- WHAT YOU WANT TO DO?
Nothing would work until it comes from within!
If you really want to get out of the alcohol dependency, go ahead- Reach out for help. You will get some help.
Don’t be ashamed of yourself, love yourself and then the world will love you!
You can read another article on alcohol here ( Alcohol Addiction Symptoms and Treatment ).
Also read it effects of alcohol addiction