The tissues found in oesophagus are damaged and that causes inflammation of the oesophagus, this condition is termed as esophagitis. This oesophagus is the part of stomach that supplies food to stomach region, the food what we eat through mouth gets entered oesophagus and this oesophagus supplies that food to stomach. Eosophagitis condition would be very paining, cause pain in chest and there will be swallowing difficulty. The possible causes of esophagitis are oral medications, any infections; allergies and stomach acid secretion get stagmented in oesophagus. First find out the exact cause of esophagitis and then proceed with treatment procedures, it has to take immediate medical attention to avoid complications. If not taken prior treatment your oesophagus will damage and cause narrowing of it that may lead to unable to chew and swallow.
SYMPTOMS OF OESOPHAGITIS
- Acid regurgitation
- Heart burn
- Pain in chest
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Pain in abdomen
- Food swallowed gets stagmented in oesophagus
In kids and infants the symptoms of esophagitis would be:
- Difficulty to feed them
- Lack of growth or failure to develop.
DOCTOR APPROACH WHEN REQUIRED
- If the signs and symptoms with pain exist for more days.
- After taking antacids no benefit at all.
- Having difficulty in eating
- Esophagitis symptoms exist along with headache, fever and muscular pain.
In these cases you need to seek a medical practitioner immediately to avoid further complications.
EMERGENCY CARE IS MUST WHEN YOU FACE ANY OF THE BELOW MENTIONED CONDITION;
- Continuously chest pain exist for more duration
- Family history of cardio disease having and then facing severe chest pain
- During eating pain in throat or mouth
- Shortness of breath while eating food
- Vomiting throughout. Usually seeing vomit colour in yellow, green or along with blood in it.
TYPES OF ESOPHAGITIS
- Reflux esophagitis
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Lymphocytic esophagitis
- Drug-induced esophagitis
- Infectious esophagitis
WHAT FOODS ARE TO BE AVOIDED?
- Citrus foods
- Caffeine containing beverages
- Fatty foods
- Onion and garlic
- Spicy food
- Mint and mint-flavoured foods
- Juices with acidic nature
DIAGNOSIS OF ESOPHAGITIS
- ENDOSCOPY- To examine the oesophagus, this endoscopy test is done using an endoscope.
- BIOPSY- oesophageal tissue is taken as sample, then for lab test given.
- UPPER GASTRO INTESTINAL SEIES- Barium solution is given to patient to drink, and then ask to take X-ray of oesophagus, to show clear view of the condition in oesophagus.
CAUSES OF ESOPHAGITIS
- Drug such as aspirin or other drugs which has anti-inflammatory action.
- Swallow of toxic food
- Consuming large pills with less water
- Consuming pills before going bed
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- During radiation therapy, injury happened.
- Severe vomiting.
The above said causes are due to the irritation found in oesophagus, which again protrudes to esophagitis. So esophagitis is due to either infection or irritation. Infection in oesophagus is due to yeast, bacteria or fungi presence. That may lead to less immune power so paying way to further other disorders.
Candida is yeast infection of oesophagus, wherelse herpes is the viral infection of oesophagus. Anti- viral and anti-fungal drugs helps to combat this condition.
TREATMENT PROCEDURES IN ESOPHAGITIS
Treatment for this condition include proper rule out of the cause and other ways to treat are discussed here.
- Pain medicine to swallow or gargle.
- Inflammation can be reduced through corticosteroids
- Endoscopy to clear out the fragment of pills
- The particular region in oesophagus where damage is seen, it has to be removed on undergoing surgery.
- Anti-viral, anti-fungal and antibiotic drug to counter the infections on oesophagus.
- Acid production in stomach can be reduced by giving heartburn medicines.
- Intravenous food administered to oesophagus, so that it is not malnourished and dehydrated.
THINGS TO FOLLOW
- Avoid nuts, raw vegetables and crackers.
- Avoid spicy foods with chilli powder, pepper, curry powder and with nutmeg.
- Have mashed potatoes
- Soft diet like idly, idiyappam, puddings and protein shakes are suggested.
- Applesauce is good accompaniment.
- Thoroughly chew food well and eat.
- Eat small portion of food more frequently, don’t damp your food at times.
- Have fluids using straw for easy mode of swallowing.
- Avoid chewing tobaccos
- Avoid alcohol and alcohol containing foods
- Avoid acidic content rich foods like lemon, oranges, grapes and tomatoes.
Finally never ignore this condition, pay immediate attention, and get medical assistance from gastroenterologist at right time. If untreated the oesophagus get’s inflamed, infection, narrowed, swallowing of food is very difficult, sometimes can’t swallow at all. Then occur barrettes esophagitis, which may further complicate and result in cancer of oesophagus.
I hope you like my article, thanks for reading out my article; kindly share it among your groups in social media.