Its been quite a while since i have been into the food industry where i have always heard about “What to eat which is good for our health” but i have never heard this sentence about “How to eat for our good health”
This article will talk more about how to eat and make the complete use of it!
I am sure many of you would be thinking that it is such a silly question about how to eat but trust me this is a very very important question!
My people will always say that ” Mam, spinach is very good for health!” But il always reply, ” I can only say yes depending upon how you cook! ”
But is this important? Yes very much!
Lets talk about proper way of consuming different food stuffs!
- Who likes milk tea? Me! Me! Me! says the crowd. So all my tea lovers out there, let me tell you that when you add milk to the tea, the protein in milk goes and binds to catechin (this is the active component in tea) present in tea which makes it difficult for the human body to digest. Catechin is an excellent component but a milk tea is not letting you get the complete benefits of this compound so lets try to consume black tea on its own!
2. Lemon, oranges, mosambi
- What do you do with the peels of your citrus foods? Are you throwing it away then certainly you shouldn’t! Your citrus foods peels have much more fibre than the fruit itself with addition of antioxidants.
- You can prepare a zest out of it and keep it inside your freezers.
- You can add it to your detox waters.
- You can also apply it to your face like face packs.
- Do you like strawberries? I love strawberries! But are you cutting your strawberries before eating them?
- Well if you are consuming strawberries on everyday basis then your vitamin C requirement for the day will be done but if you are cutting it before eating then you are loosing out on vitamin C.
- To preserve this vitamin C you can either deep freeze or keep it in the refrigerator.
- I always get this question, ” Raw tomatoes are good or cooked tomatoes are good” well my answer to this is COOKED.
- When you cook tomatoes, the active component in tomatoes which is lycopene becomes ready to absorb by the human body so that you can get the maximum benefits out of it.
- Lycopene is an excellent antioxidant which helps in fighting against cancer.
- Start cooking tomatoes!
- Do you have a habit of boiling all the vegetables ? Then it should be a NO! NO!
- All vitamins from the vegetables are lost because they can leach into the water.
- Steaming, roasting is a better way than boiling any vegetables.
6. Leaching out the fats from different foods
- Being health conscious is good but throwing out essential fats might not be a very good idea.
- Vitamins like A,D,E and K are fat soluble vitamins which means that they require fats to be absorbed in the human body.
- What type of fat you take also matters. You can avoid mayonnaise and add extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil which will help in increasing the absorption.
7. Garlic/ Lahsun
- Scroll up to vitamin C in strawberries where i had mentioned that do not expose vitamin C but the active component in garlic which is allicin requires exposure to air so that you can make the most out of this component!
- To activate this enzyme you need the cell wall needs to be ruptured so just don’t mince and put garlic in the pan.
- Do not mince garlic, try to crush it. Leave it with exposure to air before putting it in the pan and then expose it to the heat.
- Garlic helps in reducing bad cholesterol in the body.
8. Pulses and Legumes
- How many of you soak your legumes and pulses overnight? Have you seen that cloudy colour? It is because of the presence of phytates. This compound binds to the vitamins/minerals present in the pulses/legumes and stops the absorption in the body. Soaking it overnight helps in reducing the phytate content.
- Do you feel very gassy after eating some legumes? Try soaking it in hot and cold water and the gassy feeling wont be there!
- How many of you add flaxseeds to your smoothies or food directly? If you are then thats wrong. Our body cannot digest flaxseed as a whole so it is very important to either have its powder or chewing it raw!
- Grounded flaxseeds should immediately be consumed!
- How many of you throw the water which comes on the top of curd? If your answer is yes, you are doing it wrong. That is your natural whey protein which gives you good amount of protein and other vitamins as well!
- So save your proteins and make the best use of yogurt!