Our body is used to fasting since centuries, nothing is new in fasting but certainly our body has lost the routine of fasting because of our habits.
We have been evolved from apes living in the jungle. During that time, apes used to run around to get some food and if they dint find it and then they used to sleep hungry. The same concept goes here but the trend of intermittent fasting has recently developed where you give your body a time frame without food which gives a break to your digestive system. The intermittent fasting time period lasts from anywhere between 12 to 72 hours depending upon intensity but intermittent fasting has wonderful effects on ageing, brain and most important is WEIGHT LOSS.
What exactly is Intermittent fasting ?
Intermittent fasting is the process of putting your body totally in and out of eating and non eating period.
There are different ways of including intermittent fasting in your routine.
One of the way is 5:2 which gives you a chance to eat normal food 5 days a week and then you fast for 2 days a week and in these 2 days you will restrict your calories to 500/600 per day.
Other way of including fasting in the routine is including fasting for 24 hours once or twice a week then other one is eating for 8 hours and fasting for 16 hours a day.
There is another way which includes bullet proof coffee fasting to the routine.
Intermittent fasting has many benefits! Lets list it down here to know more about it :
It helps in improving function of genes, hormones and cells
- During intermittent fasting, your body initiates a response to repair your cells.
- It helps in switching hormones where your body will start using stored fats to give you energy.
- During particular hours of break, your insulin levels drop (Insulin is a hormone which helps in reducing your blood sugar levels. Insulin is a hormone which causes leptin resistance, leptin is a hormone which tells your brain i am full! So if you have leptin resistance, your body will never get that feeling of satiety! ) When insulin levels drop, it makes it easier for your body to use fats to give you energy and thus it will become the primary source of energy.
- During intermittent fasting, the secretion of growth hormone in the blood increases by 50% which helps in muscle building and fat burning. In short it helps in boosting your metabolism.
- When we talk about cells, intermittent fasting gives a chance for the cells to repair and helps in removing the dead cells from the body.
2. It helps in reducing weight or you can say it is the key to weight loss!
- Not just one, intermittent fasting helps in weight loss in many different ways!
- Intermittent fasting reduces the meals, which means that the amount of calories ingested will be reduced which ultimately will lead to weight loss.
- As we have stated above, intermittent fasting helps in reducing insulin levels. It helps in boosting metabolism, and enhances fat burning process.
3. It helps in reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes!
- Whenever the word insulin comes in, diabetes comes with it.
- Whenever i ask people what is type 2 diabetes, they will always say that type 2 means lack of insulin! But certainly thats not the case. Type 2 diabetes means insulin resistance. Insulin resistance means that insulin is getting produced from pancreas but it is not being utilized by the body. If we reduce the insulin levels produced, it will make it easier for the body to use up the excess insulin.
4. It helps in reducing oxidative stress in the body.
- Research has proved that Intermittent fasting reducing the risk of heart attacks.
- Intermittent fasting helps in reducing the CRP levels. C reactive protein is the inflammation marker.
5. Intermittent fasting helps in reducing elevated lipid profile.
- Research has proven that prolonged intermittent fasting helps in reducing the bad cholesterol levels in the body and increases the good cholesterol in the body.
How to boost intermittent fasting results?
- Use MCT or Medium chained triglycerides is a saturated fatty acid which helps in giving your body instant energy.
- Reduce the amount of carbohydrates drastically from all your meals.
How to do intermittent fasting?
- Finish your dinner by 8 pm.
- Have your next meal by next day 12 pm.
- Drink bullet proof coffee in the diet.
- You can have another cup if you feel like.
- Eat high fat, moderate proteins and low carbohydrate diet in the routine.
- Avoid snacking between your eating window.
You can include multivitamin in your routine.
Additional magnesium oxide will help in keeping you energetic throughout the day.
Make sure you are keeping yourself hydrated.
Unlimited fluids, unlimited lemon water with addition of salt will help.
Peppermint tea will help in managing the water retention issues if any.
PS : Please do not fast if you are pregnant or if you are breast feeding.
Please consult your doctor before going to any extremities.