How do you define vomiting?
- It is also called as throwing up.
- You throw up a discharge of your stomach through the mouth and it is very commonly seen in the children.
- When you vomit, abdominal muscles contract which forcefully removes the contents of your stomach.
- Even a short vomiting feeling and you feel like your body is completely drained out, it is of a great effect in children.
Sometimes vomiting is essential to remove unwanted contents in the stomach. Children have a habit of putting everything in their mouth sometimes some unwanted substances enters their stomach which leads to vomiting. Sometimes vomiting is also done forcefully. In most of the cases once the unwanted substance is out of the body vomiting stops by itself without any further medical intervention needed but sometimes several vomiting episodes leaves you completely dehydrated which can further lead to complications of low energy in children.
What are the causes of vomiting and nausea in children?
I have seen parents getting worried with vomiting but that is not the ailment in itself. It is the symptom of other causes as listed below :
- Stomach infection
- Food poisoning
- Product poisoning
- Motion sickness
- Stomach worms
- Different food allergies
- Any kind of mental or physical stress
- Severe indigestion
- Excess acidity
- Middle ear infection
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome
- Projectile vomiting
- Toxic substances
- Poisonous substances
What are the other symptoms which accompanies with vomiting in children?
- Extreme lethargy
- Dark/Pale skin
- Stomach cramps
- Abdominal cramps
- Stomach pain
What are the home remedies to treat vomiting and nausea in children?
Increase the water consumption
- Severe vomiting can lead to water loss in the body that leads to dehydration.
- First step towards treating dehydration is adding back the water which is lost.
- Liquid diet is easy on your stomach and gives you back the vomiting as well.
- Water helps in re-hydration. Give your child enough water even though he is not feeling thirsty.
- Make sure your child sips clear fluids in short interval of time.
- Keep your child on liquid food for 24 hours post vomiting sensation.
2. Give your child homemade ORS
- ORS is also called as oral re-hydrating solution.
- WHO (World health organisation) has given ORS (oral re-hydrating solution) as the first line of the treatment in case of severe dehydration from vomiting.
- It helps quickly in restoring the water in the body.
- ORS packs are also available in the market.
How to make homemade ORS (Oral re-hydrating solution) ?
- Take 1/2 tsp of salt and add 6 tsp of sugar to about 4 cups of drinking water.
- Keep stirring it till the time salt and sugar is absorbed completely.
- Keep giving this solution several times a day so that your child feels better soon.
3. Give your child rice water
- When you make ORS (Oral re-hydrating solution) at home as per the method given above you can also supplement it with rice water.
- It is quite effective.
- Because rice water is made from the rice starch, it helps in calming the stomach down.
- I normally get this question from my patients that rice water should be made up of white rice or brown rice. Always prefer white rice over brown rice because it is easily digestible and very easy on your stomach.
How to make rice water at home?
- Take 1 cup of white rice and wash it thoroughly. Once it is done put it in the pan.
- Add 2 cups of water to white rice and boil it for about 10-15 mins.
- Once the rice is prepared, strain out the excess water.
- Put excess salt in the rice water and give it to your child in frequent intervals.
4. Give your child fennel seeds/saunf
- Saunf is known to soothe digestive tract which helps in reducing vomiting sensations and nausea caused by the same.
- It helps in treating the stomach flu.
- Its flavor helps in calming the stomach.
How to make saunf water at home?
- Add 1 tbsp of fennel/saunf seeds in 1 litre of water and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Steep this mixture again and give 1 tsp of this mixture to your child every 30 minutes to get the best symptoms.
- If your child is okay with eating saunf, even that will help.
5. Give lemon water to your child
- Lemon helps in reducing chronic vomiting.
- It helps in reducing nausea caused by vomiting as well.
- Vitamin C in lemons helps in boosting your child’s immunity as well.
How to make lemon water at home?
- Take 1 glass of water and add lemon juice to it.
- Stir it properly.
- Add a drop of organic or manuka honey to the glass of lemon water.
- Give this to your child three times a day.
6. Give acupressure to your child
- Place your 3 fingers on the wrist of your child.
- Then put your thumb under your child’s index finger.
- Rub it for about 2-3 minutes, just rub and do not try to press against it.
- Do the same on the other wrist several times a day till your child feels calm and relaxed.