Have you ever experienced that your head is spinning for a fraction of a second and then it is okay?
Have you experience dizzy spells happening when you are working?
Sensation of spinning or swaying is called as Vertigo.
Vertigo is not a disease on its own but it is the underlying condition in one of the two body parts.
Either it is your inner ear or it is your central nervous system which can be the cause of your vertigo.
Your inner ear is the collection of organs which are actually responsible for transforming vibrations from air into signals which goes directly into the brain which are then processed as sound in the body.
There are 2 types of vertigo and it is important for you to know about it :
When your vertigo is related to your inner ear, it is called as PERIPHERAL VERTIGO.
These ailments could be the cause of peripheral vertigo :
- Meniere’s disease : In this condition, there is a fluid build up inside the inner ear, causing pressure to build up inside the ear which can cause vertigo. In some cases, your hearing ability can also be affected.
- BPPV ( Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) : This is a very common cause of peripheral vertigo BPPV where there are crystals deposited in your inner ear which ends up blocking the canals. Those crystals disturbs the flow of fluid in the ear which can cause dizziness or vertigo.
When your vertigo is related to your central nervous system or your CNS, it is called as CENTRAL VERTIGO.
Following diseases might be the cause of vertigo :
- Multiple sclerosis (MS) : Inflammation of myelin (the outer cover which protects your nerve cells) causes coordination problems, muscle problems , eye problems and vertigo in the body. The severity of vertigo depends upon the case.
- Migraines : Extremely severe headache is called as migraine. This severe migraine can lead too vomiting and dizziness.
- Acoustic Neuritis : This condition can cause severe vertigo which results from a non malignant tumour.
Most common vertigo symptoms are :
- Dizzy spells
- Difficulty waking up.
- Changing position of head can cause vertigo.
Vertigo in ayurveda is referred to as BRAMA where pitta is combined with vatta to give dizzy sensation.
Lifestyle tips to manage vertigo :
- Sleep for minimum 8 hours a day.
- Do not use pillows while sleeping which will increase the blood circulation in the brain.
- Reduce your blood pressure and keep well control on it.
- Keep your cholesterol well in control.
- Make sure you are exercising everyday with expert opinion.
- Include Yogasanas in your routine.
- Practice meditation everyday.
- Avoid staring at the screen at a longer stretch of time.
- Try to include celery or parsley juice in your diet everyday.
- Make your diet very colorful with vegetables.
- Check your sugars at the time of dizzy spells.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Make sure your salt content is appropriate in the diet.
- Avoid alcohol/smoking.
Home remedies to deal with vertigo :
- Soak 1 tsp of amla powder + 1 tsp of coriander seeds powder overnight in 1 lit of water. Next day in the morning, strain the water and add 1 tsp of honey and keep consuming it for few days.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and cardamom powder in 2 tbsps of sesame oil and apply it on the crown area for relaxation.
- Include lemon juice with honey in your diet everyday.
- Mix 1 tsp of ginger juice + 1 tsp of honey. Have this twice a day for 1 month to boost metabolism and enhance digestion.
- Add strawberries in yogurt and have it once a day in your diet.
- Add 1 drop of warm coconut oil in your ears before bed.
- Grind few almonds with skin and add it in the milk. Consume this empty stomach everyday for 3 months for best results.
- Have 1 tsp of sugar + 1 tsp of lemon juice + 1 tsp of black pepper in water when you start feeling some symptoms to prevent vertigo attack to happen.
- Include grapes in your diet.
- Include drakshadi in your diet.
- 1 tsp of with 100 ml of water before bed for 3 months to avoid early morning dizzy spells.
- Avoid excessively fried foods in your routine.
- Avoid direct exposure to cold winds.
- Include turmeric, garlic in your diet.
- Dosage of turmeric is 500 mg twice a day and it can be in the capsule form.
- Instead of holding your phone to talk you can use headphones which will reduce the pressure.
- Start including 1 capsule of gingko biloba in your routine empty stomach early in the morning.
- Dosage of gingko biloba 120 mg once a day.
- Make sure your vitamin D levels are in the sufficient range always.
- Include cayenne pepper in your diet.
- Dosage of cayenne pepper is 300 mg twice a day.
- Include ginger root in your diet. This can be included in the form of ginger root tea as well.
- Dosage of ginger root 500 mg twice a day.
- Ginger capsules are also effective in terms of vertigo.