More than half of the world population is suffering from some kind of painful digestive issue or disorders or some disease. For example, GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, haemorrhoids, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, heartburn, acid reflux these are very commonly seen in many people. These diseases/disorders leads to poor immunity.
What are the symptoms does a acid reflux/ heartburn or GERD?
- Chest pain.
- Burning sensations
- Difficult eating different foods
Improving your lifestyle will him managing most of these symptoms!
What exactly is acid reflux?
- Acid reflux is also called as heart burn.
- It is caused my acidic digestive juices coming out of the stomach which enters in the oesophagus.
- GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease is a serious form of acid reflux. Its just a fire in the throat kind of feeling.
- Many people think that foods or meals which are high in acid are responsible for acid reflux but honestly thats not right. There are different triggers for acid reflux.
- There is no quick fix for acid reflux, it needs to be treated from the root cause.
Lets discuss about acid reflux symptoms, causes and risk factors :
- Constant chest pains
- Severe burning sensations
- Bitter mouth taste
- Choking/coughing in middle of the night
- Unable to get proper sleep
- Constant mouth dryness
- Gum irritation
- Gum tenderness
- Bad breath
- Loss of appetite
Causes of acid reflux :
- Eating fast
- Not chewing your food properly
- Over eating
- Over consumption of particular nutrient
- Obesity/being overweight
- Age, older you get- more prone you become to acid reflux
- History of hernia
- Pregnancy– All 3 trimesters can cause mild to severe acid reflux
- Consuming foods which aggravates the digestive system.
- Eating excess processed foods
- Excessive over the counter medicines
- Chronic stress
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Caffeine overdose
Medicinal way of treating acid reflux or heart burn :
Symptoms of acid reflux or heartburn are treated with either prescription drugs or some over the counter drugs.
But these drugs work on reducing the symptoms but root cause is not addressed.
3 main types of drugs which are used for acid reflux is :
2- H2RAs ( Histamine type 2 receptor antagonist)
3- PPIs (Proton pump inhibitors)
There was a research where it had shown that consumption of these drugs increased the symptoms of poor digestion, acidity and bloating in some patients.
Lets talk more about acid reflux diet!
The first step towards improving the digestive system is to opt for organic food, non GMO products, increase fibre intake, add probiotics to your routine which will help in protecting your digestive tract.
Here are some foods which can help you reverse your acid reflux condition :
- Kefir has 40 different strains of bacteria which will help in restoring healthy bacteria back in your system.
- Home made yogurt also works as an excellent probiotic.
- Fermented foods under refrigeration helps in culturing good bacteria in the body.
- Glutamine, glycine helps in repairing the digestive system.
- Fermented vegetables like kimchi, sauerkraut also helps in putting back healthy digestive system.
- Fermented fizzy drink kombucha also helps in increasing the healthy gut bacteria in the body.
- Apple cider vinegar is another probiotic which helps in increasing good bacteria and it is the best to be taken with water 5 mins before eating food.
- Try to include coconut water once a day in your routine. Its rich in potassium and helps in storing the electrolytes back in the body.
- Cold press coconut oil also helps in improving gut health. Taking one 1 tsp on empty stomach helps in restoring the gut health.
- It helps in destroying candida in the body.
- Include colorful fruits and vegetables in the routine.
- “Cool as cucumber” helps in keeping your digestive system cool and works as a everyday detox for your routine.
- Have handful of almonds/walnuts everyday in the diet. It helps in increasing the healthy fats in the diet which again works as a excellent digestive healer.
- Raw organic honey helps in making things better! Well you can say, cherry on the top.
Foods to avoid while you on a GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or Acid reflux diet :
- Alcohol- As mentioned above, it creates a havoc in your digestive system except wine which helps in recreating microbiomes.
- Completely avoid caffeine and caffeinated beverages during the acid reflux diet as it can increase the acid reflux.
- Avoid carbonated beverages with additional sugar such as soft drinks which can aggravate acid reflux symptoms.
- Sugar and sugar products, artificial sweeteners increases the inflammation in the body which might aggravate.
- Fried foods or unhealthy fats is hard for your body to digest so it is better to avoid them during a reflux diet.
- Avoid having processed foods as they are high in sodium. Research shows that high sodium in the diet increases the acid reflux symptoms.
- Reducing cocoa rich products in the diet reduces the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Cut down the consumption of vegetable oils.
- Cut down the consumption of spicy foods.
- Cut down the consumption of processed carbohydrates.