Okay wait, dont let the headline of the article scare you.
Yes, the condition is intense but not for you to get scared.
In the world of technology and medical researches, almost everything can be managed.
Coming back to the article topic,
What is leaky gut syndrome?
- Leaky gut means your gut is leaking but most of us will think that this is going to affect our digestive system.
- Well, its not just digestive system but other body parts as well which gets affected.
- There was a research which was done couple of years back where the cause of various allergies and body pains might be because of leaky gut syndrome.
Let me take you through the medical understanding of this syndrome.
Imagine that your digestive tract is a fish pond on which you are putting a net with extremely small holes to cover the entire fish pond.
Now imagine that holes in that net has gone bigger which means everything can fall into the fish pond and make it dirty.
Apply this example to your digestive tract that when the lining gets damaged, your digestive system becomes very vulnerable to unwanted particles. This is called as leaky gut syndrome which is also called as increased intestinal permeability.
So what are these unwanted particles which can get through this gut lining?
- It could be gluten
- It could be some bad unwanted bacteria
- Undigested food particles
- Toxic waste can enter your blood stream through the damaged intestinal lining which can lower down the immunity of the body and also result into different food allergies and food intolerance.
How is leaky gut syndrome progressed and what could be the possible symptoms?
- It can result into bloating because of the indigestion of food particles
- All digestive disorders
- GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) burning chest pain is its peculiar symptom
- It can result into sensitivities through different foods which can also be allergies
- Excessive fatigue
- Severe joint pains
- Aggravated thyroid conditions
- Severe migraine
- Skin sensitivities
- Excessive acne
- Unwanted weight gain
- Syndrome X which is very rare
There was a research which was published that leaky gut syndrome can lead to various auto immune disorders out which type 1 diabetes is the highest!
What are the other auto immune disorders?
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Celiac disease
- Ankylosing spondylitis
The other most common issue which arises for the patient with leaky gut syndrome is that, all their vital and very important vitamins and minerals like vitamin b12 and zinc are not absorbed properly.
What are the possible causes of leaky gut syndrome?
There are no such valid researches which can give us a perfect data that this can cause this issue!
But after many researches, there are these 4 possible causes which might cause leaky gut syndrome.
- Poor diet i.e nutritionally deficient diet
- Excessive, chronic stress
- Toxic overload
- Severe bacterial imbalance in the gut
In terms of food, which foods are likely to cause leaky gut syndrome?
- There are many researches done which shows that lectins are responsible for leaky gut syndrome. Lectins are found in many foods including grains specially wheat, rice and soy.
- Cow milk might cause leaky gut syndrome.
- Sugar can actually create a havoc inside your body without even being the culprit! Technically, our body doesn’t need sugar at all but we people have made sugar as a very important part of life. If you want sugar, eat sugarcane not these white processed granules which is actually not your GUT type.
If we had to make a plan, how can we manage leaky gut syndrome in a a standardised way?
Well for me it is the four R’s.
(Well i have made this as four R’s so that it becomes easy for all of us to understand! )
Remove foods which can damage your gut and cause leaky gut syndrome
Replace those foods which are eliminated with healing foods
Repair your leaky gut with specific supplements which can help in healing
Rebalance your leaky gut with sufficient amount of probiotics
This actually helps me in dealing with most of my patients with leaky gut syndrome!
Well, in my 4 R’s i have mentioned something called as healing foods.
So, what are those healing foods?
- Bone broth can help to a great extent. It basically has collagen, amino acids profiling which helps in repairing the leaky gut syndrome
- Raw, organic dairy. The milk these days is highly processed which is not suitable for anyone! Doesn’t matter if the person has leaky gut syndrome or no.
- Raw, organic fermented vegetables.
- All coconut products because they are high in MCT’s which is medium chain triglycerides which helps in repairing! Healing leaky gut syndrome is the coconut water health benefits.
- All sprouted seeds can help you do wonders while dealing with your leaky gut syndrome
What are the best supplements which can be used for treating leaky gut syndrome?
- Licorice root
- L- glutamine