Sometimes you feel bloated, sometimes you see a significant increase in your weight in couple of days and you dont even understand the reason behind it.
It could be water retention.
The weight gain you see is not the fat gain, it is the water retention.
The moment you start feeling heavy for no reason, it is the time for you to cut down on your calories, carbohydrates and refined sugars!
What are the causes of water retention?
- High salt intake causes the water to move from the blood to below the skin which is known as bloating.
- Holding back too much salt results into water retention.
- Limit for salt is 2500 mg that is 1 small tsp
(2) Those exceptional ‘cheat meals’
- You must have seen water retention a night after the party.
- When you consume meals rich in salt and carbohydrates, water retention is bound to happen
- It takes around 3-4 days for the body to get back to normal mode.
(3) Excessive stress days
- Cortisol is the stress hormone which is triggered when the body is under stress.
- Cortisol excretes potassium which retains sodium in the body which causes water retention
(4) Some medicines and supplements
- Analgesic medicines (Which reduces pain) might cause water retention.
- Antipyretic medicines (Which reduces fever) might cause water retention.
- Blood pressure lowering medicines might cause water retention
- Creatine supplement causes muscles to draw water to the cells which might cause water retention.
- Oral contraceptives or birth control pills can lead to rise in water weight.
(5) Excess of carbohydrates in your diet
- 1 gram of carbohydrate holds 3 gram of water
- Carbohydrates are stored as glycogen (Either in the liver or in the muscle glycogen)
- Carbohydrates which comes from fruits are stored as liver glycogen where as carbohydrates which comes from pizzas, pastas, breads are stored as the muscle glycogen.
- Excess of any carbohydrates will give you are fluffy look which is water retention.
(6) Lack of essential vitamins and minerals
- Lack of B vitamins and magnesium can lead to water retention
(7) Hormonal changes
- PMS can cause water retention
- Post menopausal women also face water retention
- This is because of extreme hormonal changes
- Thyroid can also cause water retention
Here are some ways to get rid of water retention:-
(1) Try Epsom salt bath
- Take a hot water tub
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt which is also called as magnesium salt and baking soda and boil the water for 30 minutes
- You will sweat a lot which might cause dehydration
- Drink lot of water after the bath
(2) Eat only watermelon for at least 2 times a week
- Eat only watermelon on these days.
- No salt
- This will help you flush out excess water out of the body
- This is also the easiest detox
(3) Other tips:-
- Swimming pool walking for 20 minutes a day.
- Reduce salt in your diet
- Do leg raising exercises which will help in improving the blood circulation which will help in reducing water retention.
- Reduce refined carbs in your diet
- Try massaging the area where there is excessive water retention
- Add magnesium supplement in your diet.
You can read other article here ( Try these smoothies to gain weight! ).