” Mujhe woh brain jaisa dikhne wala khana do na! ”
This is how I used to address walnuts and in return, my mom used to say,
” Usse dimag tez hota hai, pura brain khana! ”
Everything was so perfect when we were a kid and suddenly i grew up, entered medical college and realized what my mom used to say was right but from a medical point of view!
Walnuts are indeed boon to mankind!
Let’s have a look at nutrition facts about walnuts!
Serving size: 28 grams
1/4 cup half pieces
Calories: 160 % of the daily value
Total fat: 18 grams
Saturated fat: 1.5 grams
Trans fat : 0 grams
MUFA (Monounsaturated fatty acids) : 2.5 grams
PUFA (Polyunsaturated fatty acids): 13 grams
Omega 3 fatty acids
ALA (Alpha linolenic acid): 2.5 grams
Cholesterol : 0 mg
Sodium : 1 mg
Potassium : 125 mg
Total carbohydrate : 4 grams
Dietary fibre: 2 grams
Sugar: Less than 1 gram
Protein: 4 grams
Vitamin A: 0%
Calcium : 2%
Vitamin C : 0%
Let’s talk more about ALA (Alpha linolenic Acid):
This is an omega 3 fatty acid which is good for health because EFA are not synthesised by your body and it is important to include them in your diet. Walnuts consists of 13 grams of PUFA (Polyunsaturated fatty acids) out of the total fat quantity which is certainly the only nut which is extremely rich in PUFA, excellent source of alpha linolenic acid. Omega 3 fatty acids are critical for your body to process. They are responsible in reducing the inflammation in human body which can be only consumed through diet. It helps in reducing the risk of many other chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes, reduces the risk of other cardiac disorders.
There were different researches which had suggested that antioxidants helps in protecting and reduces ageing as well which includes cardiovascular, neurological and other carcinogenic elements as well. Carcinogenic means cancer-causing agents. It helps in reducing free radicals in the body which puts a negative effect on your aging. Walnuts are the only nuts which have such high alpha linolenic acid. Consuming a diet which includes a lot of plant-based foods which can be the healthy way of living.
It is quite easy to incorporate this superfood into your diet which is very tasty and it is convenient to use as well! If you are a vegetarian then this becomes a protein-packed snack for every meal then! It is a super plant food!
Considering the nutrients in walnuts, 1 serving gives you all the benefits! It is a very nutrient dense food. It is a very economical ingredient as well.
Let’s try these wonderful recipes using walnuts which you might have never thought about!
(1) Walnut burfi
- 1 cup of walnut
- 1/2 liter of milk
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp of cardamom powder
- Remove handful of nuts and keep it aside.
- Take the remaining walnuts and grind it in the food processor.
- Take a pan and heat milk and sugar together.
- Be careful the moment you put the sugar because it will start sticking the pan.
- Keep mixing it till the mixture becomes thick.
- Then add powdered walnuts in the mixture and keep stirring it.
- Once the mixture is formed, add full walnuts pieces and stir it again.
- Add nutmeg and cardamom and keep stirring it again.
- Once the entire mixture is made then turn off the gas.
- Take a pan, grease it on the sides or you can keep a paper on which you can keep the barfi.
- Place the entire mixture on the pan.
- Spread the entire mixture on the pan.
- Keep it in the refrigerator and cut it into square pieces.
- You can remove the mixture after 10 minutes.
- Walnut burfi is ready.
- You can freeze it for long as well.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts.
(2) Walnut pudding ( Lets try it without eggs!)
- 1 cup of walnuts (you can roughly chop this)
- 1 cup of refined flour (you can add more depending upon your requirement)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (you can reduce it depending upon your preference)
- 2 tbsps of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 1 tsp of coffee powder or cocoa powder depending upon the flavour which you like
- 1/2 cup of milk (low fat/skimmed/double toned depending upon your preference)
- 4 tsp of melted butter (if you can make white butter then it is beneficial)
- Half cube of dark chocolate
- 2 cups of hot water
- 1/2 cup fo fresh cream and chopped walnuts which can be used for dressing
- Mix mix, butter, vanilla, dark chocolate in one bowl.
- Take another bowl and add flour, sugar and other ingredients together.
- Now take another bowl and mix two separate ingredients which you have.
- Once the batter becomes thick (if it does not become thick then you can increase the consistency as per your requirements!) you can add this muffin cups.
- On the top of muffin cups you can add the dressing and freeze the pudding.
- For the ones who can use eggs then they can make this pudding with eggs as well.
Handful of walnuts a day, keeps worry away!