The technique used in controlling our breath is the pranayama and in general “prana” means breath, while “ayama” means control. Thus controlling the rhythm of breathing is pranayama. By doing so, one can attain healthier mind and body. There are five types of prana available they are prana, Adana, udana, vyan and samana. Doing pranayama helps in balancing three dosha of our body and helping out in keeping healthier. The other term for sheetali pranayama is Cooling breath. This effective breathing technique cools the entire body. Mind and body gets calm and sooth.
Packed with multiple benefits of this type of pranayama, you can live a happier life by following it. Eyogguroo understands the need of change in our urban lifestyle and hence, has dedicated a page only explaining the different posture of pranayama. One of the types of pranayama is Sheetali pranayama. Eyogguroo has discussed Sheetali Pranayama Benefits below, just to educate people about this technique. It becomes easy for people to convince by letting them know the life changing benefits of Sheetali Pranayama. Covering every detail of this pranayama, Eyogguroo is all your help to maintain a healthy life style. You must make the habit of practicing the Sheetali pranayama on regular basis. Because maintain a good habit is important in order to spend a healthy and fit life. Lets get to know some of the life changing benefits of Sheetali Pranayama.
This sheetali pranayama technique balances pitta and neutralizes vata and kapha. It is good to practice sheetali pranayama during summer season. In extreme cold weather condition you can avoid practicing this sheetali pranayama or you can combine with other pranayama like bhastrika which heats up the human body. The lateral edges of tongue should be curled by rolling it to form a tube like. If you find it difficult to do this method then you can practice sheetkari, do this technique safely and by the guidance of a qualified yoga instructor.
In both sheetali and sheetkari inhalation should be done by mouth, also on heavily environmental polluted areas this sheetali pranayama and sheetkari pranayama must be avoided.
Sheetali Pranayama Method of practicing
The best way to practice this sheetali pranayama is on empty stomach, sit comfortably and keep your legs crossed. You can use blanket or cushion for sitting on floor. That can help in hip elevation. Also you can sit in front of chair by towards the chair. Feet must be flat and placed on floor. You can place your hands on knees, the back, neck and head must be kept erect by permitting the spine area to lengthen. Your abdomen and chest region should be open. While doing like this your eyes to be closed gently and breathing must be done through nose, you can now relax your body. The tongue should be rolled on and then inhalation must be done. This provides cooling breath and it cools down the whole body. You can do 10 repetition of this sheetali pranayama technique. One repetition means one breath cycle of inhalation and one breath cycle of exhalation.
sheetali pranayama benefits
- Pitta gets balanced.
- Excess heat from body is removed and body gets cooled down.
- The inflammatory skin condition gets soothed.
- Fever is lowered.
- Immunity power is increased.
- Blood pressure is lowered.
- Mind and body gets calm, stress free condition.
- Indigestion can be treated.
- Blood purification is done.
- Spleen diseases get treated.
- This technique is used widely in treating diseases associated with tongue, mouth and throat.
- Constipation can be cured.
- Hyper acidity problem can be relieved.
- Skin disease gets treated.
- Hormonal imbalances are relieved.
- Helps in relaxing the nerves.
- Insomnia gets treated.
- Memory power increased.
- Intelligence gets enhanced.
- Anger and anxiety can be dealt easily.
- Colic disorders get treated well.
- Even bile disorders gets cured by practicing this type pranayama.
- Peace is obtained.
- If have problems like burning eyes and heat rashes it helps in eliminating it.
- The emotional, physical and mental systems are cool down.
Sheetali Pranayama Precautions
- Those who have problems like low blood pressure, asthma, cough; cold or other respiratory issues like bronchitis, those persons should avoid doing this sheetali pranayama.
- When folding tongue like tube in shape cannot be done, try doing sheetkari pranayama.Like sheetali pranayama sheetkari pranayama also has the same effects.
- Chronic constipation suffering patients should stop doing it.
- People with cardiac problems should avoid this sheetali pranayama.
- In extreme cool climatic conditions, please avoid this sheetali pranayama method.
In yoga books this sheetali pranayama technique is called as hatha yoga pradeepika, gheranda samhita or cooling breath. This type of pranayama gives you a comfort and coolness throughout the body. This method of practice can be done at anywhere and at anytime it can be practiced. The reason how one can be too cool and relax is by practicing sheetali pranayama. Many yogis are cool because of practicing it, thus a good purification of whole body is attained by practicing this sheetali pranayama method. It is simple and easy way, if you’re not familiar with sheetali pranayama then go for sheetkari pranayama; both have same effects on body. If you keep on practicing this technique regularly it provides you inner strength and increases the mind power.
If you feel thirsty and that time no water is found nearby you, then you can just do five round of this sheetali pranayama, you will not believe your thirst gets alleviated. So practice this techniques and get calmness, serene and peace internally.
I hope the above furnished information will definitely be useful to everyone who goes through it. Thanks for taking time to read out my article, after reading out please share it among your groups in social media, since sharing is like caring.