Having irregular bowel movements?
This might lead to constipation and later on it can lead to piles.
But wait, what exactly is piles?
If i have to talk in a very scientific terms,
Piles are hemorrhoids which later on gets inflamed.
What are these hemorrhoids?
These are small masses which has blood vessels in the anal canal.
All of us at some point get hemorrhoids but the problem arises when these hemorrhoids becomes inflamed and that when the problem starts which is called as piles.
Lets discuss in depth about piles!
Piles or hemorrhoids can be of different sizes.
They can be either inside the anus or outside the anus.
Typically, internal piles occur on the opening of the anus and External piles occurs on the edge of the anus.
People suffer from internal ones more often.
It is nothing major to worry about. Piles can be treated with OTC medications, adequate water intake and of course sufficient amount of fiber in the routine. If the case becomes extremely severe that it has to be operated as well. 90% of the cases are treated with OTC medications but about 10% of the cases might require surgery.
There is a difference between an infection inside the anus and piles.
Lets talk more about symptoms of piles :
- Some people say that they can feel a hard lump around the anus.
- Lumps are extremely painful.
- Stomach clearance is not felt.
- Sometimes, bright red blood is seen after a bowel movement.
- Continuous Itchy feeling around the anus.
- There is a typical Mucus discharge seen during bowel emptying.
- There is a pricking pain while defecating.
- Redness and soreness is seen.
Internal lumps or hemorrhoids are classified into 4 grades which are as follows :
- Small inflammations happen which is usually inside the lining of the anus but they are not properly visible to most of the patients.
- This inflammation also happens inside the anus lining but it can be felt while defecating.
- They appear outside the anus.
- Some patients do feel that those lumps are hanging around the anus.
- They can be pushed back as well in the anus.
- Extremely painful.
- This needs to be attended by the doctor.
- It cannot be easily pushed back by the patients like it was possible in grade 3.
- They stay outside the anus all the time, it is extremely painful.
What are the causes of hemorrhoids or piles?
- The blood vessels around the anus and in the rectum, tend to stretch under pressure and may swell or bulge.
- Pressure is developed in the lower rectum.
- Chronic constipation persisting for the longest time.
- Chronic diarrhea can also caused.
- Lifting heavy weight without professional help.
- Straining when passing a stool.
- Age, growing age can also lead to piles.
How do we treat piles?
OTC medications are available but we can also try to treat it with lifestyle changes!
Diet plays a very important role in this :
- As mentioned above, piles can be caused by too much straining when doing bowel movements as result this results into constipation.
- A change in diet can help keep the stools regular and soft which is the first step towards reducing pile reduction.
- Adding fibre to the diet, increasing overall fluid intake, adding probiotics can definitely be done!
- A regular intake of leafy vegetables like spinach which is palak, fenugreek which is methi, drumstick leaves, amaranth leaves, dill leaves is very important.
- High fiber fruits can also be added like berries, figs, apples, plums, prunes, pears, banana, orange, sweetlime, etc in your everyday routine.
- High fibrous cereals like oats, jowar, ragi, bajra, barley, quinoa can also be added in the routine.
- Complete balanced nutrition with more of the above mentioned food stuffs can be added.
- Adding walking, swimming, cycling will help in regulating the bowel moments.
- Loosing weight is one of the treatment for piles.
Addition of probiotics :
- Your gut balance needs to be maintained. Addition of lactobacillus to the diet will definitely give some relief.
- You can get probiotics supplements in the market.
- Addition of curd, kefir, yakult, kombucha can also help.
Addition of natural laxatives :
You can add the following to your everyday routine :
- Triphala Powder
- Castor oil
- Black raisins
- Aloe vera juice
- Chia seeds
Natural remedies to manage piles :
- Take 1 tsp ginger paste + 2 tsp mint leaves paste. You can mix well. Add 2 tsp lemon juice to it and add 1 tsp of organic or manuka honey, mix well and consume it for 2-3 times a day for atleast 1 month.
- Grind sunflower + Sesame seeds together and have this 1 tbsp once a day for 3 months.
- Consume 1 glass of carrot + Spinach juice once a day for about 3 months.
- Apply radish and milk paste on your anal opening, leave it for 15 minutes.
- Have figs stored overnight, have it early morning empty stomach.
- Regular consumption of aloe vera juice helps.
- Have ginger slices soaked in lemon juice post meal.