I was reading a book where there was a line that “Mostly women suffer from fibromyalgia” I wasnt so convinced about it but then i started researching!
But wait, what is fibromyalgia?
Have you seen people who struggle with constant pain and fatigue? It might be fibromyalgia. Research shows that it is caused because of low serotonin levels in the body.
Fibromyalgia is a wide spread pain in muscles and connective tissues without any specific cause.
What are the common symptoms of fibromyalgia?
- Extreme fatigue
- Constant headaches
- Issues with memories
- Lower abdomen cramping
- Tender points
- Chronic complete body pain
- Constant depression
- Fibro fog (This drains your complete energy levels)
These symptoms can be chronic for many patients depending upon the severity of the case. Sleep disorders are very common in people with fibromyalgia and lack of quality sleep reduces the cognitive function which further leads to fibro fog which leads to anxiety/stress.
These were the most common symptoms but there are some people who suffer from morning stiffness, numbness, tingling and extreme sensitivities to different things.
Extreme cases of fibromyalgia suffer from :
- TMJ (Temporomandibular joint dysfunction)
- CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome)
- Continuous tension headaches
- IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)
What causes fibromyalgia symptoms?
Its not very easy to identify fibromyalgia. There is no significant lab test which can be done to identify fibromyalgia.
- Chemical allergies
- Food sensitivity
- Hormonal imbalances
- Poor digestion
- Candida infection
- Spinal cord issues
- Neurotransmitters deficiencies
- PTSD- Post traumatic stress disorder
Risk factors of fibromyalgia :
- Being a women
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Traditional treatment for fibromyalgia :
- NSAIDs- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs : These cause digestive issues.
- Anti Seizure drugs : This can cause liver failure, kidney stones, ovarian cyst.
- Antidepressants: This can cause weight gain, loss of libido, fatigue, insomnia.
- Pregabalin (Lyrica).
Fibromyalgia dietary elimination routine :
Treating this requires multiple treatment approach.
- Research has shown that eliminating gluten from the routine helps in improving the fibromyalgia symptoms.
- Limiting caffeine intake also helps in improving fibromyalgia symptoms.
- Reduce the intake of processed foods.
- Reduce the intake of excessive sugary foods.
- Eliminate sweeteners and artificial sweeteners in the diet.
- Eliminate hydrogenated oils and trans fat in the routine.
Fibromyalgia dietary addition routine :
Lets add raw diary, fermented foods, organic fruits and vegetables.
- Magnesium rich foods : Include green leafy vegetables, pumpkin seeds, home made curd, yogurt, almonds, avocados. These food items helps in reducing the discomfort related to fibromyalgia symptoms.
- Melatonin rich foods : Sour cherries, cherry juice, walnuts, mustard seeds,rice, ginger, barley, asparagus, tomatoes, mint, bananas, mint.
- Tryptophan rich foods : (Tryptophan is needed to produce serotonin) Nuts, wild fish, chicken, sprouted grain, sesame seeds.
- Add coconut oil to the routine, you can replace all your unhealthy fats with this. It helps in managing hormonal imbalance and improves gut health.
- Fermented foods : Kefir, kombucha to balance gut health. It helps in improving the gut health. It also helps in dealing with fibro fog issue.
- Include wild fishes like salmon, tuna which are excellent sources of omega 3 fatty acids. It helps in dealing with body stiffness. It works as a lubricant.
- Addition of turmeric (curcumin) to the recipes helps in working as anti inflammatory. It is better to combine curcumin with black pepper which helps in increasing the absorption of turmeric in the body.
- Ginger also helps in working as an anti inflammatory. It can be taken as a part of daily meals or as ginger juice as well.
Natural treatments for fibromyalgia includes :
Combination of healthy lifestyle and nutritional supplements helps in proper management of fibromyalgia :
- 1500 mg/day of Acetyl L- carnitine is required.
- 500 mg/ day of magnesium is required.
- 1000 mg/day of fish oil is required.
- 1000 mg/day of turmeric + black pepper is required.
- 5000 IU/ day or 60000 IU/ week of vitamin D is required.
- 500 mg/ day of Rhodiola is required.
- 1000 mg/day of ashwagandha is required.
- 150 mg/ or 50 mg 3 times per day 5 hydroxytryptophan/5 HTP is required.
Lifestyle changes required for fibromyalgia :
- Regular exercise : Moderate exercise like walking, swimming , pilates, yoga is required.
- Yoga : Everyday yoga helps in reducing the muscle aches.
- Acupuncture : It has also proven benefits. Helps in reducing the aches and pains in the body.
- Massage therapy: Regular massage will help in reducing the heart rate, improves range of motion and reduces anxiety/depression.
- Use of essential oils : It helps in healing and proper blood circulation in the body.
- Lavender oil helps in reducing emotional stress.
- Moist heat therapy helps in proper blood flow to the areas of pain. Hot showers will also help in this case.
- Getting exposed to sun will also work as an excellent therapy, it helps in making your bones stronger! Do not apply sunscreen before exposing your self to the sunlight. It will help in reducing the absorption of sun light in the body.
People with fibromyalgia are fed up of their pains because of which they loose their hope to live. Keeping this alive is extremely important.
Give your support to people suffering from this in their day to day life!